Sunday, December 20, 2015

Two Steps Forward, One Step Back is Still Progress

When I was a little girl we didn't have much of a stable or happy home life. My one constant was my younger brother as I bounced back and forth from home to home with either my mom or my dad, at times even staying a day here and there in a car. Most nights we were forced to share a bed and as I grew up and our lives took drastic turns for the better, I would still sneak into his bed in the middle of the night and sleep with him. It was a safety net. He was like my "blanky".

Of course we grew up like normal brother and sister, fighting and screaming like brothers and sisters
do! But, I love my brother and am so proud of him. He has grown up to be such a great person. He is selfless and always doing things for everyone else. Last year he made a HUGE donation to my daughter, his nieces cheerleading fund. He is a hard worker. He went at a young age to work in the oil fields in North Dakota. He did amazing despite all of us being worried about him. He got engaged and started making life plans.

He had his first stroke last May. Of course, this was a huge shock and upset for our whole family.  It's just not something you ever imagine happening...especially to your baby brother in his early 20's. You can read more about his AVM and what transpired then on my post from then. Dylan has had a long journey on his way to healing including intensive rehab and brain surgery. After a series of seizure like episodes he returned to the cities to see his neurologist. It was decided he needed another surgery as part of the AVM was still present. What a huge heartbreak. Knowing he wasn't done fighting this monster.

An angiogram after surgery revealed more difficult news. Some of his residual AVM remains. They plan to do radiosurgery to treat this. Taking these precautions is what has continued to save Dylan's life and prevent another stroke, but I cannot imagine the disappointment and frustration he continues to face.

Dylan was registered to start classes this January at NorthWest Technical College-Bemidji. Whether this is going to stay the plan or not, we aren't sure but I'm praying he can stick to his plan and try to continue with life in a somewhat normal fashion.

If you could all do me a favor and check out his GoFundMe, Share it, comment on it, donate if you are able and keep him in your prayers! Wish him Happy Holidays and help us keep his spirits up!

No comments:

Post a Comment