Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Cheer Momma Drama

Well, it has started. The inevitable.

The picking and teasing when a group of girls spends as much time together as a competitive cheer
 team does. MD typically steers clear of it because she is a bit younger than most of the team and she really doesn't understand what the older girls are saying anyway.

Within the last few weeks she has started having a hard time with one of the older girls. MD is a very hard worker at cheer and when they have to run because someone isn't doing their part she has no problem telling them to try harder, ha. Of course I encourage her to be nice in her delivery, but she is 6 so who knows how well versed it is!

The older girl has started saying horrible things to MD. Not just typical teasing but "I'm going to kill you" and "I hope you fall and get hurt" (MD is a flyer and this girl is one of her back spots) and finally told her I'm just not going to ever catch you...and she has just let her fall on more than one occasion.

At first I told MD to talk to the girl and try and work it out. She needs to be able to tolerate situations like this and be able to stick up for herself in a good manner. That changed nothing. I made mention of the situation to her coach after the second incident, when she deliberately dropped MD. The issue continues. If it were just a teasing issue I'd almost be ok with continuing to tell MD to stick up for herself and tell the coach and hope it eventually was resolved but now that she has intentionally caused my daughter to be dropped multiple times I'm furious. Other members of MD's team have attested to what MD has told me.

I want to handle the situation the best I can and not create any tension for MD's team. I believe the next time we have an issue at a practice I will ask the coach to arrange a meeting with MD, the older girl, both girls parents and the coach so I can be sure this is fixed.

What would you do in this situation? Do you believe it is our job as parents to step in our is it better to let a coach handle these sorts of problems?

Much Love
XOXO

4 comments:

  1. Um I would "accidentally" trip this little girl :P No I would definitely ask if she can be switched with somebody else and take it to the girls parents (she obviously learns it from somewhere) But that could be really dangerous, what if Ava broke something?!

    Good luck!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right. Sometimes it is so hard as a parent NOT to discipline other peoples children ;)

      Delete
  2. Yes ma'am do not let this go any further. Use the chain of command that's what it is there for. You've gone to the coach it it time to go to the big guns. You know who I'm talking about. As the parent of a flyer it is your responsibility. I've seen first hand how being dropped wrong and not caught can ruin them from cheering forever. I know MD well enough to know she loves cheer and this is uncalled for. Do not please do not let it go on another practice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alison! I think we've got it handled now, thank goodness! I, and MD, would be heartbroken if someone wrecked cheer for her! I'm just glad we are a part of a great gym family! We love the Timmerman ladies <3

      Delete